On this episode, I had the privilege of interviewing author and artist Kim Dettmer. She is the author of Moments Meant to Savor and you can find her art out at kimdettmer.com. Kim specializes in mixed media collage, but has worked with a whole host of art forms.
She is passionate about helping others discover their creative side and to make a difference with their craft.
From the interview…
- Three words that describe Kim: Creative, Upbeat/Happy, Kind
- Who inspires Kim? Brene Brown, Oprah, Elizabeth Gilbert.
- What did she want to be when she grew up? A mom.
- She found that she had a need to fill up the creative part of herself
- She started to search out new ways to be creative
- Taking the time to be creative made her a better person, mom, wife… just happier.
- She fought the idea that she was actually creative at first. It’s a lie.
- “We all have our own creativity, we just need to find our medium”
- Worked on college campuses, graphic arts, student newspapers
- She loves to use lots of different types of papers. Ledger sheets, maps, stamps, etc.
- There is more than meets the eye in her art.
- She created a piece called Choose Hope tied to Sandy Hook tragedy
- Project for a local school where she used patents, educational papers, blueprints
- Sometimes when she’s starting, she has no idea where it will go
- On her Mt. Rushmore of inspiration: Brene Brown, Oprah and Dr. Seuss
- She loves to doodle. You just never know what you’ll create.
- Her biggest roadblocks have been her own self doubt.
- We need to get rid of the self-limiting beliefs
- Not everyone has to like what we do or “get it”.
- Her tagline: “Sending a little bit of happy into the world, one piece at a time.”
- “If I create something that someone smiles at, that smile wouldn’t have been there if I didn’t create that.”
- “Creativity can change a person. When you’re creative, you’re doing the work you’re supposed to do. You’re touching on your gifts and sharing those.”
- Her book, Moments Meant to Savor. A big step to write and illustrate it.
- Kim says “just start!”